Snow queen part 5: the bra

Things are coming along nicely! Only one week to go before this costume needs to be done. The show is sold out so we are all putting in effort to make the show as fabulous as we can! The bra is fairly easy and straighforward. I am still cutting as many corners as I can get away with on this costume due to time and energy restraints. Instead of covering a basic bra, I bought a cheap white bra (about 5 euro) and cut off all straps.

With some tightly woven white cotton fabric I made new side straps and shoulder straps. Covered them with the lurex fabric and stitched everything down with the sewing machine.

I considered adding straps from elastic as it would be very comfortable and a great fit. But this time I want to try a new bra strap constellation and I need the straps to be sturdy so I can place the decoration on the straps and shoulder. The downside is that I  have to check the fit of the bra before every wear as I might have grown or shrunk a bit.

 

Pinned the straps in place and sewed them on by machine, making sure to not sew over the underwire.

 

I then added pleated fabric to the cups, creating a bit of a different shape to the bra. The idea was to go for a Greek draped look but the fabric was too bulky so I toned it down a bit. The shape of the bra is thus less ‘halterneck gathered fabric’and more ‘push-up bra. I connected the fabric to the shoulder straps and basted it down by hand.

On a side note, while working on the bra I watched ‘The Umbrella Academy’ on Netflix. I am not a big fan super hero series, but this one is nice. I also recommend Titans for the same broody looking athmosphere, mysteries that need to be solved and some super hero fighting action in between.

My original plan was to add an appliqué with a snowflake to the bottom of the bra. But I tried out my costume during dress rehearsal, and the mesh bodysuit has some lovely sparkles on the belly that would in that case be covered. Looking at the foto’s and video of the dress rehearsal, I wanted to balance the bra out with the bottom half of the costume. I added appliquées to the shoulderstraps instead. Then added a center appliquée on the chest, that is held in place by felt connector pieces covered in AB Crystals. Here’s a picture of the first fitting. As you can see, the medallions weren’t quite in the right place yet. As I was sewing inbetween feedings, the bra cups are tight because it was almost time for the next feeding.

 

 

I saw something similar in an Aida costume and I loved that idea. You get to sew the necklace/jewelry to the bra and put it all on at the same time. Briljant! The necklace is made by sewing AB Crystals to white felt, then cutting the shape out and sewing it to the straps.

For the shoulder I added shoulder drapes with fabric. While dancing I will ofcourse raise my arms, thus shifting the shoulder drapes a bit. I hope that they will fall back to the intended place when I lower my arms again.

 

I’m leaving it where it is right now, I might come back to it and add a bit of beaded fringe at a later point. In my next post, I’ll show you how I made a huge cape to add some drama.

I am a professional bellydancer, costume-a-holic and dance studio owner living in the Netherlands. My passion is teaching and performing bellydance and I’ve been doing that for almost two decades. I am a teacher at the online Belly Dance Business Academy, where you can find courses and workshops to help you grow your belly dance business. If you like to be kept in the loop, please like Kyria Bellydance on Facebook , follow me on Twitter or find me on Instagram. 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s