The last costuming post I talked about beading the bra. I am glad that it is finished! I added elastic side straps and hook and eye closures so it is ready to perform in. But I can’t perform in just the bra so I needed to get cracking with the skirt. The dreaded skirt. The ‘I don’t feel like it wish it was done already’ skirt. The skirt that I messed up by cutting into one of my costume pieces, causing me to redraw the design. THAT skirt.
The longer I wait with finishing a project, the more resistance I feel towards picking it up and getting it done. It wasn’t very complicated to redo the skirt, but it hampered my style so I put it away in a corner and decided not to look at it for a while. Taking some distance worked, and I found my mojo! I recut the back of the skirt and made some adjustments on the front. I’d like it better if the beading is backed by the blue lycra, so I didn’t use the patterned fabric across the whole front of the skirt, adding two flowers to the side instead. The blue created a nice background for the green and blue beading. This also meant that I didn’t have to bead all around the skirt, saving me even more time. I was planning on wearing this costume for a hafla and having less beading sounded like a great idea.
I cut out two back panels from the patterned lycra and stiched them to the blue side pieces. Due to pregnancy my hips have grown exponentially, making me add a fifth panel in the center back to give me an extra 4″/10 cm in the hip area. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to wear the skirt. After sewing the panels together, I made sure the fit was perfect for my new curvaceous figure.I then appliqued two flowers to the back and side panel to bring a bit of green to the front of the skirt.
*golden tip: when returning to a costuming project you started a while back, always check your measurements before continuing finishing the costume!*
Making sure everything was ready, I folded the upper edge over and used a wide zig-zag stitch to keep it in place. This has two purposes: the first one is to finish the edge neatly, the second is to give a bit of stability to the elastic I’ll be adding by hand to the upper edge. The blue lycra is on the thin side and I’d like a bit of extra fabric to keep the elastic waistband securely in place. With the blue seed beads Beatrice send me a couple of years ago, I edged the waistband in blue rope beading. I then proceeded with adjusting the bottom seam, folding it inward and stitching it into place. There is no elastic in the waistband (yet) because I need to finish the beading first. You can see in the pictures that I marked three triangles on the skirt and I’ve started to fill them with chunky beading.
In the mean time I found some matching bijoux at a local dollar store. Fluorescent green feather earrings and blue bangles. I look forward to wearing the costume to it’s first outing. It’s so exciting to see a design come to life, and resting after a job well done. I still need to do the following things:
- Add lining to the bra
- Add beaded fringe to the bra and skirt
- Sew elastic to the waistband of the skirt
- Make the upper arm band and a head band
Overall, I am proud of myself for finally making the matching skirt (go me!). I’ll work on the beading and finish it so it’s wearable for the hafla I want to wear it to, and afterward I’ll probably add some more beading so I am completely satisfied with the end result.
I am a professional bellydancer and costume-a-holic living in the Netherlands. This blog is really helping me to keep my costuming addcition in check: writing regular blog posts for you helps me to focus and finish costumes. If you enjoyed this post and like to kept in the loop, please like Kyria Bellydance on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.
Thanks for reading and see you soon!